Monday, June 18, 2007

Busy Day!

It was a fun yet busy day here. Not only was it Father's Day, but this day in history marks the 3rd anniversary of our closing on our house here in Alabama (wow, that went by fast!) AND Hayden's 2nd birthday! Honestly, I'm pretty sure Hayden's birthday took president over the other two events!


After getting everyone up and ready for church this morning, the kids presented Craig with his Father's day gifts. Despite the fact that Mother's Day this year was not even acknowledge by Craig until he was reminded by someone at church, he still managed to get some decent stuff. He received a single cup coffee maker and one of those armband thingies for his ipod. He was thrilled with both and would have used the coffee maker had we had enough time before church.


Ellie couldn't contain her excitement any longer and begged us to let her give Hayden his present from her. He was so excited to get ahold of his first present of the day and quickly became an expert at unwrapping gifts. She had picked out a Mr. Potato Head doll/figure/potato? for him. It came in a little clear "suitcase" so he decided that he needed to carry Mr.PH around with him all morning. So we all, including Mr.PH, headed off to church.


After returning home from church, we go going on all the last minute arrangements for Hayden's party. Now, mind you, this entire party was quite last minute. I had managed to stress myself out about even having a party, but Craig really wanted to do something for the occassion and I threw something together in a hurry. Being that it was Father's Day, I was concerned that no one would even be able to attend. As it was, only one family couldn't make it because they had reserved their day for dad only activities-not too bad! Ellie and Craig ran to Wal-Mart to pick up the cake and some ice, Hayden took a nap and I cleaned up, set up, and cooked up! We did find a little time to call the grandpas to wish them a happy Father's Day as well.


The birthday party was a success and I even managed to not stress too badly during the event. I made way too much food-I knew I was going to, but it's better to have too much food than not enough! What we didn't eat can totally be frozen. I waffled over which size of cake to purchase a 1/4 or a 1/2 sheet. I ended up getting the 1/4 sheet which worked out in the end since we also bought one of those ginormous chocolate chip cookies with frosting for Craig for Father's Day (he doesn't care for cake) and between the two desserts we had 1/4 of the cookie left and 1/4 of the cake left...yum, breakfast for me in the morning! The cookie had this hideous blue frosting on it that totally stained everything it came in contact with-including your teeth. It was kind of funny to see everyone smiling these blue toothed smiles! There are going to be some babies with technicolored diapers in the morning!


It was a nice evening weather-wise, a bit hot but it managed to cool off a little with a small breeze. The kids played outside with all our riding toys and climbed on the swing set. I realized just how many riding toys we seem to have for just 2 small children. I don't buy many toys for the kids (they get so many from our families) but apparently I have a weak spot for bikes, trikes, and wagons. Come on, if you're in Target and there's a $50 bike for $12, you'd buy it too. That's my problem-can't walk away from a super deal and that leads to an over-abundance of ride on toys.


Speaking of toys, Hayden had a blast opening his presents. Everyone seemed to really understand what 2 year old boys are into, as he received lots of balls, cars, trucks and even a few tractors. He was in vehicle heaven! He also got a Go Diego rescue tool belt that Ellie loved and wore until she had to take it off for bed. I think Hayden was willing to give one thing up if it meant he didn't have to share his cars with her. After presents, our friends started heading out but it was great to spend a fun evening with them all. We truly are surounded by a great group of friends and family.





We cleaned up the garage a bit and put the kids to bed. Hayden went down quite quickly after having such a busy day, but Ellie was a bit wired (can't imagine Coke and blue frosting had anything to do with it) but she managed to settle down after a bit. Craig and I wound down by wathcing a few tv shows and I got right to work writing thank you notes. We had recorded the new show Ice Road-and boy, are those guys nuts!!! They make the guys on The Deadliest Catch look like civilized sissies! It was really interesting to see what some people will do for money.


Tomorrow will be a busy day, Ellie starts a new round of swim lessons at 9:30. She'll be in the Ray level. They said she could go to this next level the session before last, but I decided to put her in the Eel level for a second time so she didn't feel too pushed. I'm glad I made that decision becasue she is a much more confident swimmer who has definately mastered the skills of the Eel level. Ellie is excited about the Ray level because upon completion, she'll receive a PINK ribbon-it's all about the pink! She cracks me up!

No comments: